The Ultimate Motivator: YOU!
I was talking to my sister the other night, and she said she was staring at her P90X CD and debating on whether or not she was going to get to it. It was 5:45 at night, and I told her to just look at the time, and realize that 45 minutes was going to pass by anyway, and she could be done with her P90X by 6:30 and feel really good. There is a motivation tip, knowing that you are going to feel great once you are done.
I’ve been working out my whole life. People always ask me how I do it, why I do it, and what keeps me doing it. When someone is asking me for motivation tips, I tell them my motivation has always been the way it makes me feel to work out. I always feel energized, relaxed and happy afterward. I also believe that I “deserve” to take the time to take care of my body. It’s a selfish motivation. It’s okay to be selfish!
So do this for YOURSELF. Think about the reasons that you want to get in shape. What is your motivation?
- do you want to get rid of cellulite?
- are you trying to increase your self esteem?
- are you looking to attain your ideal body image?
- do you want to improve your endurance?
- are you looking for a sexy butt and a toned body?
- are you trying to learn to eat healthier?
- do you want to detox your body or get rid of belly fat?
- are you trying to stop the weight gain of menopause?
Whatever YOUR reasons are, and there may be several, the one thing you can do to help you get started right away is to set a goal for yourself. Take it a week at a time if you need to start slow, or plan for the month ahead. Whatever works for you, but it helps to write it down. Here is a chart that you can use to help with fitness goal setting.
Don’t get me wrong, there are some days when I am dragging, and I don’t feel like doing anything. But what I do on those days is picture myself being done. I picture myself walking out of the gym, or running up to my front door, or eating afterward. Getting it done. That is what I think about. I mean an hour is going to go by anyway, and in that time you could be done.
Here are some more motivation tips to help you get motivated on those days when you just aren’t feeling it.
7 Motivation Tips to Get You Started:
- Put your favorite music on your iPod. You just cannot help moving when you are listening to great music. The music on my iPod makes me WANT to run or dance or box or jump.
- Think about how amazing and proud of yourself, you are going to feel when you are DONE.
- You are adding YEARS to your life by exercising.
- You will definitely sleep better.
- You are for sure going to look better!
- You are setting a fantastic example for your kids, especially since the most exercise kids get today is working their fingers to the bone on the keyboard.
- Think about the fact that you are giving yourself a little present. Working out is a gift, feel fortunate that you can move your bones and joints and make your body healthier.
Also, I tell people it’s never too late to start working out. Just because you have not worked out in the past, that does not mean you are destined to a life of watching Real Housewives and eating chips. Start with small steps. Do something 5 minutes today, 10 tomorrow, 15 the next, and so forth. These little things add up big if you are setting fitness goals.
Get started and don’t stop! A lot of people start working out because they have an event, like a class reunion, or a party or a vacation, and then they stop once the event is over. Don’t stop!!! Why would you want to take that away from yourself?! BE SELFISH!!! Think of that as depriving yourself of your God-given right to health, vitality and longevity!
Here are some tips to keep your workouts fresh and interesting while remaining effective!
Bottom line, some days you just don’t want to work out, and on those days just get out there, put one foot in front of the other and go until you are done. Get it done. I would say the same thing if you were 9 or 90. You will always feel better once you are done.