I know it may sound a little bit dramatic…but sitting for the hours and hours and hours that most of us do each day is truly “deadly” and damaging to our body’s health.
We upright walking types are supposed to be moving around.
It’s not natural for us to sit for hours on end in front of the computer, on our commutes, and now add to that shopping, getting our news, talking on the phone, etc.
The body is supposed to move throughout the day. Not sitting all day long.
There are so many conveniences that we have in our modern world that have taken the need away for us to be moving around.
Years ago, that was not the case!
If in the recent past, we had to wash the dishes and clean the floor ourselves, now there are people who have a dishwasher and a robotic vacuum cleaner which can do that for us. I’m not saying it’s bad to take advantage of the privileges of technology (I’m a fan of technology myself), but the problem is that, as a result, there are those of us who sometimes tend to avoid physical activity and end up sitting for more hours a day than our parents and grandparents did. Via themindunleashed.org
Why Are We Sitting So Much More?
It’s not just the conveniences of the dishwasher and robotic vacuum (I do love my Roomba too, so I am just as guilty)… the other problem is that we do so many things with our computers that used to require the use of our legs, for example:
- Online shopping instead of window shopping.
- Virtual banking instead of visiting our favorite teller.
- Ordering groceries instead of going to the market.
- Online games, instead of playing outside.
- Eating at our desks instead of walking to lunch with a friend or coworker.
Truth is we all just spend so many more hours sitting than ever before in history, and this is really bad for our bodies.
We are supposed to be moving around. At least every hour. But most of us will sit for two, three, even four hours or longer, without moving!
So when it comes to health problems, the statistics show that 40% of people who suffer from back issues tend to spend long hours sitting at the computer. You may think that back problems are the only major consequence of a sedentary lifestyle. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple, and recent research reveals that too much sitting is linked to a number of health problems, including obesity, heart disease and diabetes. Via themindunleashed.org
Here are Five Things You Can Do To Get More Movement Into Your Day!
- Get a timer app for your cell phone that prompts you to get up every hour and move. Stand Up! is a good one.
- Take your dog for a walk instead of just letting him outside to do his business.
- Walk to lunch instead of getting in the car.
- Instead of sitting on a chair at your desk, sit on an exercise ball.
- Read your book or watch TV while on a stationary bike or treadmill.
The reality is, you need to get up and move every hour. It’s not enough to sit for four, five or six hours and then go on a 30 minute walk. You have to get up once an hour and move in all eight directions. Stretch…. up, down, left, right, and diagonally. It takes just five or ten minutes, but it will make a huge difference in your health!
To Your Health!