How do you break a weight loss plateau?
Feeling Frustrated By Stalled Weight Loss?
You step on the scale, you look down all excited to see your progress, and then you sigh and feel so frustrated, nothing, no change, nada.
You start to get mad and think to yourself, “I am doing everything I can! I am working out like crazy and eating right, but the scale has not budged in weeks! Well the most likely answer is that you’ve hit a weight loss plateau. Stalling weight loss can be a huge downer and a big motivation killer.
Why do you hit a weight loss plateau?
Weight loss plateaus occur because your body has gotten used to everything that you have been doing, and suddenly it says, “I’m not gonna budge unless you change something!” You have to make a CHANGE. Change is the key here. Your body is in a rut, and you need to do something different to keep you moving towards your weight loss goals.
Here are tips to help you bust out of the plateau and get back to your weight loss success:
- Keep a food diary. You need to be honest about what you are eating. Sometimes we cheat unknowingly and are adding useless calories by snacking mindlessly, drinking alcohol or adding things to our otherwise healthy foods that are calorie and fat laden, like dressings, cheeses, and certain condiments. So keep a food diary for a week, you may be surprised that you are eating too much!
- Change up your routine. If you have been on the treadmill for years, it’s time for a change. Try doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and then 20 minutes on the bike, or 20 minutes on the stair mill and then 20 minutes on the treadmill. Or start mixing in spin classes once or twice a week. Confuse your body. Your body has gotten so used to using the same muscles, it no longer needs to make any changes.
- Strength Train. If you are not strength training, then start! Start to lift weights. Working out with weights will increase your lean muscle mass and increase your metabolism.
- Eat more! Yes, I said eat more. You might not be eating enough and starving your body. Your body is saying, “I’m gonna outsmart you now, and hold onto everything you feed me, ‘cuz I don’t know when I’m gonna eat again!” Aim to eat 5 to 6 times a day. Check out eating clean for tips on clean eating and learning how to feed your body properly.
- Get more sleep. Are you sleeping enough? If you are not sleeping enough, then you are stressing your body out. If you are stressing out your body you are increasing your cortisol levels, and this will cause you to gain weight or not be able to lose weight. So be honest with yourself, are you sleeping enough because sleep and weight loss are directly connected.
- Add HITT. Add 20 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training to your day. Adding an extra burst of HIIT to your routine will dramatically change your body and help you to bust through your plateau. Read here for more information on high intensity interval training.
- Drink enough water. Are you drinking enough water? If you are working out a lot and not drinking enough water, then your body is dehydrated. If you are dehydrated you could mistaking thirst for hunger, and taking in too many calories. You should be aiming for drinking at least 64 to 80 ounces of water per day if you are working out regularly.